Monday, November 18, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

      When I was little, I loved it when my parents read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle to me.  The book was so large and colorful.  My favorite part was when the caterpillar ate and ate until he became a large caterpillar.  I loved to flip through the pages and count how much of each food he ate.  I liked seeing him turn into a big, beautiful butterfly also.  Sometimes after reading this, I would pretend to be a caterpillar in her cocoon until I would suddenly pop out from under my blankets and fly around the room.
       If I wasn't already going to be Cinderella for Halloween, I probably would've been the butterfly.  I would always ask my parents that if I ate a lot of food, would I become a butterfly?  They would always burst my bubble and reply no, but I never believed them.  I wonder what my three year old self would think if she saw how she would be in ten years.  Probably disappointed that she didn't turn into a butterfly, a fairy, or a princess.  But maybe proud that I made it that far without getting attacked by evil witches or dragons.  I remember how jealous I was that the caterpillar was allowed to eat as many cupcakes, ice cream cones, and pieces of chocolate cake as he wanted.  But my mom always pointed out how at the end, the caterpillar got a tummy ache.  This book taught me many important lessons and it has always meant a lot to me.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job! I love how you managed to incorporate so many funny details into your piece that really made it come alive. I think that you made this very personal by connecting a bunch of different memories back to the book. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that book as well. I also found this very funny, the way you talk about it when your ten and when you were three. Good job

    ReplyDelete