I recently read the book Deenie by Judy Blume. In the book, the main character named Deenie,
wants to be a model. But then, the doctor tells her that she needs a Milwaukee
Brace (a big clunky back brace that people used to straighten their backs in
the ‘60s and ‘70s. Deenie has scoliosis, a condition where your
spine is crooked. Throughout the book,
Deenie’s attitude towards modeling, the brace, and new friends changes.
In the
beginning, Deenie’s mother keeps on pushing her to be a fashion model when she
grows up, but Deenie secretly doesn’t want to be one. Also, in her gym class there is a girl named
Barbara who has a blotchy skin condition (every time she gets nervous, her skin
gets red and itchy). All the girls stay
away from her, and think that she’s contagious. “Her real name is Barbara
Curtis but I named her the Creeping Crud because she’s got this disgusting rash
all over her. It’s supposed to be some kind of allergy but who wants to take
the chance of finding out by touching her?” (page 30). Deenie is really mean and untrusting towards
Barbara and she reminds me of the typical mean popular girl in movies and
books.
Then, in
the middle of the book, Deenie’s gym teacher notices that Deenie walks in a
strange way. So she is sent to many
doctors when finally, they diagnose her with scoliosis. She has an S curve which means that her spine
is curved in the shape of an S. This is
what Deenie thinks when she first sees the brace (page 68): “I wanted to
scream, Forget it… I’m never going to
wear that thing. Everyone will
know. Everyone! But the words just wouldn’t come out.” This
shows that Deenie really cares about who will judge her by her brace and what
people will think of her. Also, Deenie
is starting to warm up to Barbara. She also starts dating her crush, Buddy
Brader, even though all he really only likes her for her looks (not her
personality).
In the end,
Deenie learns to live with her brace, and final accepts the fact that there is
nothing she can do about it. She also stops judging people based on their looks
and she and Barbara become really good friends.
Also, Deenie dumps Buddy because they have never really had an actual
conversation together. Deenie basically becomes a stronger person.
I think
that Deenie’s brace made her a better person on the whole. She finally realizes that even if people don’t
look drop dead gorgeous, you should still accept them and be friends with them
based on their personality.
I really loved reading this response. I think your thesis is very strong and clear. However, I was a little confused on how the first paragraph connected to your main idea. I liked how you ended the response with a realization that I think many can learn from Deenie.
ReplyDelete